THANKS TO MARCUS for sending along a few pages for evaluation. Disclaimer: I worked with Marcus on the redesign of The Daily Times a few years ago, so much of what you see on Marcus’ pages are elements I designed, such as the nameplate, the teasers, the headline typeface, etc. That said…
Overall, a good page: clean and balanced with good spacing and structure.
Some points to mention:
- I like the display of the teasers. Good work feathering the photos there.
- There’s just a bit too much space between the teasers and the top headline. Two picas should do it…no more.
- Photos could have been cropped tighter. There’s about 2 picas you could’ve trimmed from the top of the Pigeon Forge pic, and about 3 picas from both the top and the bottom of the homicide photo. One other thing in the homicide pic: there’s the edge of something on the wall there. It’s distracting.
- “Overnight rain” headline is a bit too deep. In one-column stories, the headline shouldn’t be deeper than the type it covers.
- For the most part, I prefer that the lead headline on a package be placed below the photo. But in the homicide package, it works better to have the lead head at the top. Placing it there gets that power head above the fold, and it helps to separate it from the subhead and the 1-column headline below the pic.
That’s what I see here. Your thoughts?