DANA HAS BEEN a longtime follower of Ed’s blog. And now she offers this page for our review and comment.
FROM DANA: Here’s a little summer road trip page I did for the New York Outdoor News on trips to combine fishing and baseball. We are every-other-week newspaper that covers hunting/fishing in New York. Outdoor News is in 6 other states as well, including a Minnesota weekly.
FROM ED: Although the page is a bit busy, I like the design thinking I see here. Some specifics:
1. I’d like to see a bit more negative space from the frame to the type. This appears to be only a pica inset. It really needs two to three picas so the page can breathe.
2. I’m not usually a fan of script fonts, but I think it works well here.
3. The map is really a help and the overlaid photos lend additional visual interest.
4. Nice thinking on placing the story above the map, because it helps to move the map to the center of the page. Otherwise, there would be a lot of gray there.
5. I like the use of the photo at the top…but not sure about the sand around the bottom edges. Just a bit too much, perhaps.
6. Glad you used flush left type for the text.
I think it’s a good page…perhaps a contest entry. Now. let’s see if others have any thoughts!