ALMOST NOT WORTH evaluating this page, there are so few points to mention. But we’re looking at details, so:
- I’d have cut the rules above and below the nameplate to keep them from running across the football player photo in the left teaser. Or…run the nameplate in front of him (as it is here) with the rules behind him.
- We could have trimmed a bit off the top of the smaller foot pantry photo. There’s nothing but wall there.
- I don’t understand why that smaller photo is in the shadow box with the infobox. Just a goof?
- Only three lines of text above the Trexler photo. I’d have moved the photo to the bottom, above the jump line.
- As noted on a previous page, there’s too much space below the nameplate. Let’s set a standard of two picas of space there, please.
WOULD YOU LIKE to have Ed offer his thoughts on your work? Just send a pdf or jpeg to email@example.com and Ed will be glad to take a look! And…he’ll do his best to be gentle.
HERE’S A ONE-MINUTE VIDEO on design contrast. Yeah, it’s a busy time of year…but you’ve got a minute to learn something new, don’tcha?
IN BERGAMO, ITALY, a carousel recently caught fire–in a big way A reddit user uploaded the photo from one of his friends. In the comment section, another user said it best: THE END IS NEIGH.
WANT TO SEE YOUR PHOTO FEATURED HERE? Just send it along with a quick note and we’ll post it for the world to see!
FROM ED: A good page here. Structure and spacing work fine. Additional points:
1. Nice work on the teasers. Pretty tame, but the photos are cropped and placed well.
2. Good lead photo…and I’m glad to see you’ve given it good size.
3. The subhead on the terror seems a bit overwritten–perhaps to help fill the space?
4. I’m not a fan of side captions (bottom right), but if I were going to do one here I’d have aligned the type to the top of the photo, rather than the bottom. Aligning it to the top pushes the negative space to the bottom right corner, where it doesn’t appear quite so “trapped.”
So, small points. But worth some mention.