IT’S BEEN MORE THAN A WHILE since we’ve seen a page from Marcus. And we’re happy to see he’s back here. His work is always on a higher level and it’s always good to share it with others. Here’s a page from November. There will be more from Marcus here in the coming weeks.
FROM MARCUS: This one is just another sports front where one photo takes over the page. It had been about six months since we’d done a sports front that way and this was a great reason to do one.
FROM ED: I agree, it’s “a great reason to do so.” Some points to consider:
1. I like the way you handled the white fade behind the “Maryville wins…” subhead. Helps to bring it off the page. Not sure you needed the white outline on the type, though.
2. I also like that you ran the type over a lighter (though not white) box at the bottom. It helps bring the type off the page and yet blends nicely with the surrounding green.
3. Good headline. The pun works.
4. Nice touch to make the “SPORTS” section flag echo the jersey numbers of the Maryville player.
5. My one disappointment: I don’t get the photo. I don’t know if this is the winning reception…or maybe the interception that iced the score…or just another hi-jump pass reception. I even read through the story to see if you mentioned this catch. I could find nothing. Really: a caption would have helped. In fact, I think it’s necessary.
What do the rest of you think? Other observations to share with us? Jump in!